I went through a terrible break-up with my best girlfriend well over a year ago. I don't make friends easily or quickly, she was one of only a handful girlfriends I had made in my life, so the end of our relationship was really difficult for me. We did not break up because we had a big fight or because one of us wronged the other in some way. It was just that circumstances in our lives changed and we could no longer make things work. I think it was the first time I understood how people who really love one another could end up getting divorced, and for me the end of our relationship was just as difficult and moving on has not been easy. But after many months and a move of 600 miles I think I am ready to start making new friends. I am a little scared because making new friends requires trust in others and a willingness to put myself out there (two things I struggle with). It is also quite possible that some women may not like me (big gasp...) But you know what, people are always judging and no matter how much I try there are always going to be people that dislike me. So I decided that this time I am going to put my energy into knowing what I want in a girlfriend and what kind of a kind of a girlfriend I want to be!
I want to connect with women who lift me up, who make me want to be a better version of myself and can relate to my journey. I want to spend time with women who make me laugh at myself but don't laugh at me. I want to connect with women who make me feel energized and empowered. I want to engage with women who make me think, women who question things in a thoughtful way, who know that we are all a work in progress and are accepting of others. I want to attract women I can learn something from and women who are interested in learning something from me.
I work from home and since I don't think that my new friends are going to just show up on my doorstep I have taken actions to meet them. I joined Meetup.com, a social site that lists local clubs and I found a women's group in my new city that was a perfect fit. I joined the local YMCA but I have not made any connections yet as I have only gone once. I have invited other women to do things instead of waiting to be asked which I realize seems super simple but when you are afraid of rejection it can be really difficult. I am also taking sewing and jewelry making classes which have been great fun!
If you would like to share how you have met your good friends or have suggestions on what you think I should do I would love to hear about it just drop me a note at linda@lindaleesnyder.com or leave a comment below!
No comments:
Post a Comment