I adore cooking, it is a way for me to give something back to the people I love. I like making dinner for large groups, making lunch for my daughter, and making dinner for my husband. Sharing food is where my fondest memories were made. Even with all this love I still get into slumps where I find myself uninspired and bored with my choices. That is where my love of perusing cookbooks, food websites and blogs serve me well. I like looking at the photos, figuring out how I would tweak a recipe to make it more to my own tastes and it reminds me of what is in season.
Here are some of my favorite places to get inspiration when I am in a slump:
On TV - set your DVR for The Chew on ABC (or watch some of the segments on line). This is a light one hour "cooking" show that is focused around food and family. The recipes are generally easy, breezy and presented in a fun way. Not everything is healthy but everything is tasty. They also encourage playing with and sharing your food!
Websites - Epicurious.com and Allrecipes.com they also offer applications for your smart phone and tablet. They offer recipes, photos, and menu suggestions for every function you can imagine. I think they do it better than anyone else.
Cookbooks - I must admit that most of mine are older as I tend to save my money and peruse at Barnes and Noble and not purchase (bad, bad I know). I love anything by Mollie Katzen. My favorite is The Sunlight Cafe but I have three others from her that I use regularly. She doesn't have photos but wonderful illustrations and great stories.
Blogs - check out FoodBlogs.com they compile some of the best and you can also look through SAVEUR's 2012 Best Food Blog Award Winners to find one you might connect with.
Food can bring people together and create connections. Eating with your family and/or friends can provide just as much nourishment for your soul as it does for your body.
Eat well!
No comments:
Post a Comment