Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fall Apple Picking


Beautiful Cortland Apples from my local orchard (and some cider donuts I couldn't resist)

In Ohio, where I now live, Apples are in season so I went with a girlfriend to pick some. We picked Cortland Apples, they are one of my favorites, but all varieties are in season right now.

In addition to apples there are many other vegetables in season and if you are wondering what is in season where you live check out the Eat Well Seasonal Food Guide . They offer a US map and breakdown of what is in season in every state. The guide always reminds me that I want to live in California.

So now that you can check out what is in season in your area, I thought I would give you just a couple of my favorite things to make with my fall produce!

I adore Spiced Butternut Squash and Apple Soup. I adapted it from a recipe in O Magazine from 2005 and I have perfected it to my own tastes over the last few years. I encourage you to do the same, take a basic recipe and make it your own!

I also love raw applesauce which I make in my Vitamix Blender. It couldn't be easier and it is oh so tasty. If you don't have a Vitamix you could use a food processor.

I cut up apples and eat them with almonds (or almond butter) as a snack in the afternoon.

Brussels Sprouts are also in season which are another one of my favorites! Try Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts.

Cauliflower is also in season and I adore Rachel Ray's Cauliflower Stoup (too thick to be called a soup not quite a stew - that Rachel Ray is so funny)

I would love to hear some of your favorite things to make now that the weather has cooled a bit!











No comments:

Post a Comment