What are the actual benefits of a good laugh? It can lower your blood pressure; increase vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood; exercise the diaphragm, abdominals, respiratory, facial, leg and back muscles; reduce stress hormones; increase the response of Gamma-interferon and T-cells (the cells that fight disease); reduce the frequency of colds, improve alertness, creativity, and memory; reduce anxiety and pain; and create a sense of peace. At this point researchers aren't completely sure if the actual act of laughing gives these results or if it is a by-product of a life that is filled with laughter and positive social connections. I believe that if they can link stress and the physical ramifications of stress to our thoughts and actions why would laughter, even if as an exercise, be any different? I liken it to gratitude as a practice, if you practice gratitude daily it becomes easier and easier to be grateful, so it would make sense that if you created more laughter, even if by practice, you would find more things to laugh about and reap the benefits of genuine laughter as a bi-product of laughter as exercise.
![]() |
| Judi A. Winall, CLYT & L |
A Laughter Yoga session typically lasts 30-40 minutes and the only thing you are required to bring is a willingness to laugh and try something new, along with the willingness to let go. Judi maintains that a good sense of humor is not necessary and your body cannot tell the difference between laughter as an emotion and laughter as an exercise. Laughter Yoga can be done sitting or standing and you can even learn to practice alone. In addition to laughing, the class also consists of breathing exercises and some light stretching. Judi assures me you will leave class feeling more at peace than when you entered and I believe her.
Laughter Yoga Clubs are organized by Laughter Yoga Teachers and Leaders and there is no cost to join. The first club was started in India in 1995 by Dr. Madan Kataria, the creator of Laughter Yoga, and now there are 6000 clubs in 60 countries. Judi told me that each Laughter Yoga Teacher and Leader is encouraged to start a Laughter Yoga Club in their area. You can find your local chapter in the United States by clicking here. If you can't find a local club try an on-line group or better yet, get certified and start your own.
I adore this concept, and while I will not be giving up my other forms of exercise in exchange for Laughter Yoga I will be working on adding Laughter Yoga in. I will let you know how it goes.
All my best,


No comments:
Post a Comment