Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What NOT to say to a teenager about weight!

I have never been thin, I am thick. I have always had thick fingers, thick toes, thick calves, thick thighs and big boobs. When I was 16 one of my relatives told me to be careful as I approached the 100 pound mark, I was looking a little "thick".  I was thick, I worked for hours in our barn mucking stalls, throwing bales of hay and bags of sweet feed and wrestling with horses, but I was by no means overweight. I was strong, really strong, and it had never occurred to me that my body wasn't perfect until my Relative so thoughtfully pointed it out. These words stuck with me for the next 12 years as I struggled to feel good about my body.

My Relative thought I was "too thick" (of course my pony might have been)
Why do I share this story?

The first reason is to illustrate how one negative comment can change a young person's view of themselves for years. When I look back I know that my Relative wasn't concerned for my health and wellbeing. They didn't make the comment out of love and compassion and concern for my health, they were judging me and felt that they had a right to voice an opinion about what they perceived to be my "problem". The negative comment didn't help me to eat better or improve my health in any way, it just made me feel like I wasn't good enough.

The second reason I shared was for all of us that carry around some negative thought about ourselves. I am certain that it is time to let it go. It could be a negative comment from family, friends, yourself, or someone you don't even know. My favorite mantra is "it is none of my business what others think of me, I am perfect just as I am". I don't worry about what others think of me and I let go of things that may even be said out loud.

The last reason to share was the most important to me. With the mounting adolescent obesity epidemic in this country I am concerned about how parents and care givers are talking to young people about the issue. How can you talk to a young person about their health and weight without being critical and leaving them with negative feelings about themselves? Here is what I have come up with; Don't talk, lead. Do your homework about healthy eating and grocery shop together, cook together, share meals together, play together, hike together, take a class together and re-connect!

I would love for you to share your experience with negative talk or getting healthy with kids.

All my best,

Linda







No comments:

Post a Comment