Friday, March 8, 2013

2013 Bucket List Update -

As I mentioned in an earlier post I chose to make a 2013 Bucket List instead of making resolutions that I knew I wouldn't keep. One of my bucket list items was to run a 5k event. My goal was to run one during the summer but due to my "Just Say Yes" attitude I am happy to report that I have now completed two 5k's. The only problem is I didn't run either of them. These races were a week apart and both events took place in chilly temperatures over the last couple of weekends.

The first 5k, Saturday, February 24th, took place on an overcast 34 degree afternoon. The event started at 1 pm and my daughter and friend were in attendance with me. I had tweaked my back at an exercise class two days prior and walked the entire thing with a time of 50 minutes (so slow...) I was fine with walking the entire way but I was not dressed appropriately for the cold and it took me two days to defrost. All in all, I had a great time and was able to spend the 50 minutes catching up with a good friend, doing something physical with my amazing daughter and supporting our school's band.


The start of the Road Apple 5k Race
The second 5k was the following week and while my back was still bothering me what was really tough was the two inches of snow, wind, and below freezing temperatures. I was laughing so hard at the ridiculousness of trying to do anything in the weather that tears were streaming down my face and I peed my pants, just a little, at the start. I could barely see the road, my sneakers were slipping, and my feet were wet when I finished. I did however, run for some of this event and managed to finish at around 44:16 so I improved my time by six minutes even with the hysterical laughter which took up the first 5 or more minutes at the start!

I am still focused on actually running an entire 5k and I am using the Couch to 5k application on my iPhone to make that happen. At the moment I am SO stuck at week 4 of the 9 week program (5 minute walking warmup, jog 3 minutes, walk 1 1/2 minutes, jog 5 minutes, walk 2 1/2 minutes, jog 3 minutes, walk 1 1/2 minutes, jog 5 minutes, cool down) it all falls apart at the second 5 minute jog, I can make it about 4 minutes and then I am gasping for breath! I have been doing week 4 for three weeks now with not much improvement. I am looking forward to the weather turning here in Ohio so I can start to run outside which I hope will improve my ability to run, we will see.

Now with that said, I couldn't run 5 minutes in January so I have made improvements but they are slow!


This would be me, at the end of the Road Apple 5k. I was actually jogging at the end and had dressed in 4 layers with two pairs of ski socks so I was at least toasty warm since I certainly wasn't fast!

I hope you are well and checking off the items on your 2013 Bucket List! Let me know how you are doing.

All my best,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment