I was going to bore you with all the details of just how sick I was from December 22 through December 26 (really, really sick) but instead I will share with you what I learned from it.
My husband and daughter make a great team. They spent five days at home just the two of them, as I was in bed almost the entire time. My husband cooked, my daughter cooked, they managed to feed the animals, clean the litter boxes, grocery shop, feed themselves and clean the house. It turns out that they don't actually need me.
They didn't need me to supervise, direct or manage them. They found their own jokes, they laughed, they argued and they played. I would fade in and out of sleep but I could feel a sense of calm in the house that isn't there when I am "in charge". See, I can be a little controlling. I have been working on letting go for years and I am much better (at least I think so) but when it comes to our house I still like to control on how things are done, how things are folded, cooked, chopped, stored, and put away but I realized while lying in bed, listening, that I still have some work to do.
So, after I was able to move around again I looked up some resources to remind me of why I need to surrender and thought I would share.
Tiny Buddha - http://tinybuddha.com/blog/let-go-of-control-how-to-learn-the-art-of-surrender/
Mike Robbins - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-robbins/let-go-of-control_b_710620.html
Three ways letting go will improve your life: http://advancedlifeskills.com/blog/letting-go-of-control/
Enjoy, and let go!
Linda
Great post, Linda! I can totally relate. I'm also someone who is probably more controlling than I ought to be when it comes to the household stuff. I see it as being organized but when you really get down to it, it's a control issue. Loved hearing your story and the links! Thanks!
ReplyDelete