Friday, January 11, 2013

If you aren't exercising

Exercise is (fill in the blank)...

fun; hard; exhausting; boring; something I look forward to; something I dread; too time consuming; too difficult to schedule; something I "should" be doing but I am not.

Well, what fills your blank? If is isn't something positive or maybe even is "something I never do" then you might want to take a moment and evaluate why.

I could post links to the 134,000 results you get when you Google Studies on Exercise and Health but I am not going to do that. If for some reason you still need proof that exercise is good for you take a moment and google it yourself.

So let's cut the crap in 2013, if you want to improve your health exercise MUST be a part of the equation, it is a non-negotiable. So, how do you work exercise into your life?

Find something you enjoy, that is challenging, that you look forward to doing and put it on your schedule in pen! 

If you hate going to the gym give up the gym membership, save your money and find something else. If you have 25 workout DVD's and NEVER do any of them, sell them on E-bay and find something else. If your home fitness equipment is being used to store clothing or has more dust bunnies than a house featured on Hoarders sell it and use the money to find something else.

Find something fun that makes you smile and be willing to try new things until you find it. I have tried many different things, some I liked, some not so much:
HIIT workouts, yuck; Zumba I love, but only if I take a class, it isn't fun at home by myself with the DVD; hard core bootcamps at a gym rock, but only if I can go with someone; Barre class is super fun, ab attack class is not; I like to play racquetball but not basketball; I love to hike, I detest the stairclimber; I enjoy aqua aerobics but I loathe swimming laps.
So for me; I enroll in group classes, often with friends, because I know I will attend them. I also know that if left on my own I will almost always choose a good movie over moving!

So, make a commitment to try new things, experiment, and find something that makes you want to move.

Here are a few ideas to find something new:
Go to Meetup.com and find an activity based group in your area 
Download a fitness application on your smart phone 
Find a local gym at Gym Index.com and sign up for a new class (many times you can try before you buy)  
Visit Zumba.com to find classes and instructors in your area
Visit your local YMCA and see what classes or events they have
Join Gaiam TV free for 10 days and try out their entire exercise DVD library!
Join YogaGlo free for 15 days and try out on-line yoga classes
I would love to hear what activities you enjoy and/or what activities you might try!

All my best,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment