Friday, October 19, 2012

Halloween!



My family LOVES Halloween, well, maybe my husband and I LOVE Halloween and our daughter likes to pretend she is someone else. For the first time in my adult life we live in a neighborhood where they supposedly bus kids in so we are finally going to get Trick or Treaters! I am super excited and can't wait to hand out my healthier treats (of course I haven't decided between baby carrots, bottles of water, bubbles, crayons or chalk).  If you are looking for alternatives to candy I found great lists from the websites Job Description Mommy and Dollar Store Mom.

I also have some Halloween tips of my own:

  1. When purchasing Halloween candy buy candy you DON'T like! The biggest mistake I ever made was buying mini snickers bars four years ago for kids that NEVER came (which was good as I had eaten them all anyway).
  2. Make sure you and your kids eat a healthy meal BEFORE you head out the door to trick or treat or party. If you don't have time for a healthy meal before you leave the house then whip together a nice smoothie, it only takes 5 minutes!
  3. Make sure you, and your kids, bring a bottle of water to stay hydrated while trick or treating. This will help to keep you from reaching into the treat bag
  4. When your kids return from trick or treating go thru the candy together and allow them to keep only their favorites. The rest you can donate, bring to your office, or (gasp) throw it away.
  5. If your teenage daughter wants to wear a costume that makes her look like a stripper just say NO! (Please feel free to dress like a stripper if you are over the age of 18 or under the age of 40 as long as you can pull it off)
  6. Regarding alcohol and Halloween; if you choose to drink, I have two tips:
    1. If you are attending a party then eat something and designate a driver BEFORE you leave your house. The designated driver does not drink any alcohol. There are kids everywhere on Halloween, it isn't worth it. (Really, there are kids everywhere and you know you would never forgive yourself if you harmed one of them.
    2. If you are walking around the neighborhood trick or treating with your kids with a warm thermos of say, Hot Mulled Cider and Rum, make sure you also carry some water along to drink. There is nothing worse than falling down on top of your child and knocking all their candy into the street (not that that ever happened in our family...)

I hope you enjoy your Halloween!

Our favorite skeleton enjoying a beverage on our porch!


No comments:

Post a Comment