Saturday, February 9, 2013

National Toothache Day and Heart Disease



Today, February 9th, is National Toothache Day. I certainly hope that you are not suffering from one but if you are, beware, the health of your mouth and the health of your heart may very well be connected (really, isn't everything connected in some way).

They are still trying to determine if periodontal health impacts heart health or if heart health impacts periodontal health but I think that taking care of your mouth should be a priority in addition to everything else you do for your good health and wellbeing. Taking good care of your mouth is easy and only requires 10 - 15 minutes a day. Below are my suggestions:


  1. Go to your dentist regularly. I like to go for cleanings every six months (of course my insurance only pays once a year)
  2. Use a Sonicare toothbrush. My entire family swears by these to not only keep our teeth looking white but my husband, who suffers from periodontal disease, has improved his gum health tremendously. The Sonicare ensures that you spend 2 minutes brushing your teeth by timing the event! Make sure to replace the brush heads every three months.
  3. Invest in a Waterpik and use it after you brush your teeth. I know, so old school, but spending just a few minutes after brushing waterpiking makes a huge difference when you visit your dental hygienist. I no longer have gums that bleed during cleanings.
  4. Clean your tongue and brush your teeth twice a day. Brushing (or scraping) your tongue not only helps to fight bad breath it also may reduce food cravings. Tongue brushes and scrapers are very inexpensive and come in all different shapes and sizes. 
  5. Floss after meals. I like to keep flossing "piks" in my car and in my purse so I can floss anywhere anytime. 
  6. Limit sugar intake and for the love of all that is good STOP drinking soda! So bad for your teeth and gums.

For more information on keeping your mouth healthy visit MouthHealthy.org a website brought to us by the American Dentistry Association.

All my best,

Linda







No comments:

Post a Comment