Thursday, December 13, 2012

Flying foods!!

I was traveling VERY early from Ohio to Palm Springs last month and was faced with how I was going to eat a healthy breakfast and lunch and still meet TSA requirements. Easy breezy I say.

First I got some great thermal zip bags from Thirty One (they are great for throwing in a purse and you can get them in small, which is the size of a makeup bag, or large, which is the size of a magazine) and as long as you put items in cold they will last the entire day. Then I get some Ziploc bags in snack size.

1. Hard Cheese - cubes of cheddar, Gouda, Swiss, Parmesan, anything you can cut into cubes! You can go as soft as Brie and Blue cheese but the Brie must have the rind on and the Blue must be a chunk or the TSA will consider it a gel and take it away. In addition if you pack the brie or blue pack a small plastic knife or spoon (although I don't mind using my fingers).


2. Sliced apples or pears - don't forget to put them in a Ziploc with just a little fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top so they aren't brown when you get to them. It is nice to pre-slice so you don't have the trash to get rid of and you can grab a slice and some nice cheese.

3. Raw nuts - any kind that you enjoy.

4. Crackers - any kind that you enjoy. They could be nut crackers if you have a gluten intolerance or whole grain if that is what you like.

5. Dried Fruit

6. A meal replacement bar - I currently like the Perfect Foods Bar in Cranberry Crunch Lite but whatever works for you.

7. Fresh Organic Berries - raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or strawberries. Wash them first and you can either leave in the store container (they are less likely to get crushed if they are fragile) or put them into a Ziploc.

8. Cloth Napkin - after you have taken such care to pack lovely snacks you don't want to be eating them on the nasty tray. Pack a nice cloth napkin, spread it out and enjoy your food, taking the time to chew each bite.

9. Wet Naps, Wet Ones, or some kind of nice damp towelette to wash your hands before and after you eat.

I promise that this will keep you satisfied on even the longest journey (okay, maybe not across the world but certainly travel across the United States) and you will be the envy of all those who are sitting around you. If you really want to make the flight special spend your money on a nice glass of wine since you have the food covered.

Let me know what foods you take on your next flight.

Safe travels.

Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment